United States 2020 Presidential Election

Ted Eytan

Jannah Al Defaaei, Writer

On November 3, the United States held its 2020 election with Donald Trump representing Republicans and Joe Biden representing Democrats. Many states had the results that were expected, such as California, New York, and Wyoming. While these most states had fast and expected results, some states took days for their results to be counted and announced.

Two prominent swing states were Nevada and Pennsylvania. While the nation was waiting for their results, Joe Biden only needed six more electoral votes to win the presidency. Nevada and Pennsylvania had the ability to secure Biden’s win, as Nevada holds six electoral votes, while Pennsylvania holds 20.

Pennsylvania was the “tipping-point state” for Biden as it got him to 284 electoral votes, therefore becoming the president-elect. With him is vice president-elect Kamala Harris, the first woman, person of color, black, and South Asian vice president-elect.

On the opposing side, Donald Trump is taking the election to court. Rudy Guiliani, Trump’s lawyer, alleged that the electoral system in Philadelphia was involved in fraud. Philadelphia played a huge role in Biden’s win, which is why it is the center of the allegations. 

However, these lawsuits might not help Trump in any way, as “There’s literally nothing that I’ve seen yet with the meaningful potential to affect the final result,” Justin Levitt, a law professor at Loyola Law School, said.

With all of this information, the results of the election keep the nation divided. Both sides want all votes to be counted, and some recounted. Some are celebrating, while others are protesting. Some are filled with joy, others with sorrow. 

In response to his victory, Joe Biden addressed the nation with a message he often repeated, that he will be a “president for all Americans” and that “this grim era of demonization in America.” Meanwhile, Donald Trump has yet to concede.